I heard on the news the other day that rapper Kanye West lost the songs for one of his albums when his daughter (North) flushed the only copy of them (on his iPhone) down the toilet. Whether this is true, or whether it’s just part of the publicity for his wife – Kim Kardashian’s latest TV show is neither here nor there – the big point is: who names their daughter North!!? Especially when their family name is West! Sigh.
That said – if this is true (the lost songs part) then I can sympathise with Mr West – he must have been devastated.
Inspired by this story, I turned my attention to the literary world to find that iPhones are not the only things to get flushed down the toilet of time.
Here are a few of the books and collections that have vanished without trace:
- That big library at Alexandria got burned down
- Loads of different parts of The Bible got vanished
- Loads more stuff – but I can’t do this to you – it would be waaay too boring.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure that your masterpiece is not lost:
- Write one
- Back it up – now!
- Make it interesting or useful
- Publish it into the real world – not just online
- Sell lots of copies to lots of people from all over the world
- Give away a fire-blanket or fire-extinguisher with each copy of your book
- Pray to every god, goddess, deity, tree-spirit etc. you know, that your book will be around forever
- Get more exercise and improve your diet (okay – maybe nothing to do with books – but this is really good advice all the same).
Lots of things get lost. Don’t let one of them be you. If you find that you have a habit of wandering off, then consider getting yourself chipped. It’s relatively painless and could save your relatives and friends a whole heap of worry if you don’t show up for that dinner party. Also – consider letting people track you online. Maybe this will allow you could get yourself your very own stalker fans. There’s nothing that says ‘I love you’ quite like being stalked! Think about it – you deserve all that love.